August 04, 2009

Contrasts

Picture taken by Tyler Knott Gregson tylerknottphotography.com
Be soft.
Do not let the world make you hard.
Do not let the pain make you hate.
Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness.

Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree,
you still believe it to be a beautiful place.



When I read the news, there are all kinds of voices. The idealistic ones think about the grand opportunities a situation holds, the realistic ones emphasize the dangers and risks. The optimists choose topics that highlight the fun and hope in a situation, the pessimists turn angry or sarcastic over the daily problems of politics and power.

I myself deeply believe that we all should be realistic idealists and careful optimists :) This would make the world a better place. No one would be called a pollyanna again for limiting themselves to the positive aspects of a situation. And pessimists might cut their criticism to the part that is constructive. Balance is key as in most areas of life, I think.

Although it may seem incoherent, I will include this little wish of loving kindness below, because reading the news today I am just grateful to be alive and well here where I live. I wish everyone everywhere was!


May all beings be happy.
May all beings be safe.
May all beings be healthy.
May all beings be peaceful.


Picture taken by Tyler Knott Gregson, a gifted photographer with a nice blog.
"Be soft" was taken from
quote book.
The last verses are taken from a guided Metta-Meditation by zen teacher Gil Fronsdal.

No comments: