April 30, 2008

The universalist

In her bestseller "Refuse to Choose - A revolutionary program for doing everything you love" Barbara Sher writes about people she calls Scanners. Those are people whose problem in life is not that they have no fun or do not know how to spend their time. There is just too much they would love to do and they cannot decide which is the option that keeps them happy forever so they can finally settle down.
I stumbled upon the book in a bookstore and while going through it I found the chapter that was about the "universalist". This particular version of the "picaflor" (as a Spanish friend likes to call Scanners) is the one where you keep changing jobs, positions and lifestyles, collecting qualifications without ever noticing, and never settling down or feeling entirely fulfilled. This is partly what my life is about and I feel the same impatience, the same eagerness to learn new things and continually change my current lifestyle. I felt flattered and calmed down at reading that for this kind of person it is mostly easy in life. For someone with many talents, languages, a gift with people and motivation to learn, there always is work and the journey is the way until one perfect job finally shows all the characteristics of continous and diversion a universalist has been seeking all the time!
So yeah, I will leave a mark in this world, the only thing I need is a little more patience and loving people around me who tell me every once in a while that it's gonna be fine :)

No comments: